1974 BMW CSE

Vanaedium

Reaction score
Hey Paul
Do you think you can fit an entire tesla sealed (with "soup") battery pack under the Cse like a regular Tesla?

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Paul
Do you think you can fit an entire tesla sealed (with "soup") battery pack under the Cse like a regular Tesla?

Not really. Or rather, you would need to rebuild the whole car to pull it off. The track of the E9 is so much narrower for one thing that you couldn’t get the two modules left to right. But also, Tesla just worked everything around that 3” height of those packs.

What could be done is to create the modules in a frame of sorts then just drop the shell on top of it. It could work but then it is really just. Kit car and far less of an E9. It would be really fun to see it done though. You should give that a go!

In the end for me I wanted a lot of the originally of the E9 so I am opting for under the hood. I am not even taking full advantage of the tranny tunnel. I will be putting a lot of devices in there but it’s too narrow for any battery modules.

Hope that helps! And I love your photoshop front and rear treatments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vanaedium

Reaction score
Not really. Or rather, you would need to rebuild the whole car to pull it off. The track of the E9 is so much narrower for one thing that you couldn’t get the two modules left to right. But also, Tesla just worked everything around that 3” height of those packs.

What could be done is to create the modules in a frame of sorts then just drop the shell on top of it. It could work but then it is really just. Kit car and far less of an E9. It would be really fun to see it done though. You should give that a go!

In the end for me I wanted a lot of the originally of the E9 so I am opting for under the hood. I am not even taking full advantage of the tranny tunnel. I will be putting a lot of devices in there but it’s too narrow for any battery modules.

Hope that helps! And I love your photoshop front and rear treatments!

Ok gotcha, more work! Ahahahah
Thanx, hope to inspire others with retromod possibilities. The photoshoped picture is my equivalent of your "Keep Going" Poster

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finished the last of the work in this area. Clean rockers, pillar and now finally moving forward to that inner fender work tomorrow!

0b6044247fd3457b0285f4d543e859da.jpg

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
We are finally getting to the front fenders. Starting with a jig to establish where the shock towers should go since it will soon be nothing but air in there.

00d2bbaed70fbc9f9bc11a6b5cf9d3d2.jpg

18c3ef4229627bdcf8ac75e3edaaeeaf.jpg

5d4d1ad8b3fa8028dc760b28d10ea893.jpg

We’ve begun to cleanup some parts and fabricate others.

6205af9ecd4d1149cde415bfa31c85e9.jpg

We have finally removed the very last bit of old repairs of fiberglass, caulking, bondo, rebar and plywood. Here’s the last of it:

0c1430a742e71b47ae17428b145376bf.jpg

Today should be a big day, starting to see more going in than coming out!

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
There wasn’t a piece of steel that didn’t need repair. The pillar was mostly good but in my last post you can see the rust in the upper portion.

We cut it out and Tyler fabricated a section. She is all cleaned up now and pretty.

Started welding things back together too. Maybe next week we will have this corner done with fender on!

bb042f5c030ee39c7030bda2f64d6694.jpg

40198a14261744490b603df298c03de4.jpg

e9587830f3be174680fbcd77e1b27894.jpg

ee8dfb4ea6a0c01272de5f4ff554a8ba.jpg

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sometimes I think I want to dip the car in polyurethane instead of painting it, just so I can appreciate all this metalwork long-term:)

It's funny because I came VERY CLOSE to buying a freshly finished and painted '74 Fjord shell from Coupe King a few months back. They wanted an insane amount of $ for it, but totally fair as it was not really a lot more than I will wind up spending on metalwork and paint. It looked BEAUTIFUL, and ready to put back together. But for two reasons I decided against. 1- There was no photo documentation of the metalwork, and CK wasn't involved in the car at that time. They know the shop that did it, but I didn't want a car that I didn't have full documentation on the metalwork (Having just bought a terrific looking car only to discover rebar, fiberglass and more- it is WAY to easy to cover up quick repairs). 2- I had a lot of custom fabricating to do, and didn't want to mess with all that pretty paint- even the paint in the trunk and engine compartment. Better to have someone put that car back together with a gas motor.

As it went, I have learned that I wouldn't trade this metalwork experience for anything. Even though Tyler is doing the heavy lifting, it is happening in my shop. I pitch in most days cutting, grinding, measuring, etc. It is so fascinating learning from a master how to restore this car. Not only am I learning more about my car, but I know exactly what it is I am driving - if I ever get that far :)

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As it went, I have learned that I wouldn't trade this metalwork experience for anything. Even though Tyler is doing the heavy lifting, it is happening in my shop. I pitch in most days cutting, grinding, measuring, etc. It is so fascinating learning from a master how to restore this car. Not only am I learning more about my car, but I know exactly what it is I am driving - if I ever get that far :)

To me, "learning from the masters" who are willing to share their knowledge is almost as rewarding and fascinating as getting the car done and driving it. Even if I never restore another car, watching their talents and ingenuity at work is thoroughly inspiring and motivating for other parts of life.

Last edited:

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
After debating what to do about fenders I finally bit the bullet and overpaid for a new set of BMW fenders. Mine had been poorly repaired at least once and so much of the body of the fender was pitted enough that you could push a pencil through it. We would have to replace 70% of the steel which could take weeks to properly fabricate (with emphasis on “properly”)

So I overpaid for a brand-new pair that had been sitting in a warehouse for the last couple of years (hence the light rust). But they are very nice and will look lovely on the coupe later next week!

ea315d871783062015e81171ec20d1b9.jpg

0168044f79b83348ea2762d2b136b7dd.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After debating what to do about fenders I finally bit the bullet and overpaid for a new set of BMW fenders. Mine had been poorly repaired at least once and so much of the body of the fender was pitted enough that you could push a pencil through it. We would have to replace 70% of the steel which could take weeks to properly fabricate (with emphasis on “properly”)

So I overpaid for a brand-new pair that had been sitting in a warehouse for the last couple of years (hence the light rust). But they are very nice and will look lovely on the coupe later next week!

ea315d871783062015e81171ec20d1b9.jpg

0168044f79b83348ea2762d2b136b7dd.jpg

No doubt the right choice. I fear that I will come to the same realization one day (and by then the unicorn fenders will cost even more).

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have deactivated Fred Flintstone mode in the driver’s position. We still have Barney Rubble mode in passenger side until next week.

4e5407c4da083a4768197651818e206b.jpg

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Starting work on the passenger side front fender. This side didn’t have all the rebar and caulking the driver’s side had, they made up for it by using a half inch thick glob of fiberglass and epoxy. It took a combination of grinders, drills and finally a chisel to get it down to clean metal.

25dce683100fcd9dbd6e1f848d87ca60.jpg

ecbed50e4d9ee755db0d10b831de371c.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Starting work on the passenger side front fender. This side didn’t have all the rebar and caulking the driver’s side had, they made up for it by using a half inch thick glob of fiberglass and epoxy. It took a combination of grinders, drills and finally a chisel to get it down to clean metal.

25dce683100fcd9dbd6e1f848d87ca60.jpg

ecbed50e4d9ee755db0d10b831de371c.jpg

It looks like such nice clean metal under all of that - why would they do that? Keep up the good work!

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah it was clean underneath but what I didn’t show is that all that fiberglass was essentially replacing the rotted out steel sections that would normally hold the fender on:). It’s all out now and tomorrow we start putting this back together!

9116694b48835d5f18d818ee00cecdaf.jpg

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
A guy on Instagram already ripped me a new one which included an F-Bomb because these front plates don't have the T stamp. I told him that it was a resto-mod so we weren't as concerned with that originality, and that he is going to hate the trunk.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A guy on Instagram already ripped me a new one which included an F-Bomb because these front plates don't have the T stamp. I told him that it was a resto-mod so we weren't as concerned with that originality, and that he is going to hate the trunk.
I am sorry to hear that. I am not on book face, and plan to keep it that way. If that makes me a dinosaur, I'm okay with it. :cool:

Reactions: Wes

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
never" never use faces***it
communists
this is my favorite post to watch
cant wait to see the details on how the electrics look and work out.
and the dash interface