What did you do to your E9 today?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yesterday met up with Drew for a Sunday drive. He let me take a couple of runs on a desolate road west of Miami in his coupe with a Korman built motor. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

EB145852-229E-4E9B-9AE8-2E58529D095A.jpeg

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FINISHED WIRING FOR INSTRUMENT PANEL AS the
9 pin connector had two broken wires at the connector.
modified the housing with xacto knife to access the wire and soldered in
two new wires.
then set the wires with jbquik to keep them in place for good

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
went to visit my painter on Friday ... to prod him along. i was happy (read ecstatic) to see that work was finally progressing on my coupe. they chemically stripped most of the engine compartment and the inside of the doors. they are going to finish the engine compartment with bead blasting. the hood and trunk have already been painted on both sides - he will do the final coats when he paints the car. they were in storage so it was too dark to get a finished pic ... but i could tell that they looked quite good.

my painter asked a good question - seam sealer. anybody have any good pictures of how BMW originally finished the undersides of the hood / trunk edges with seam sealer. i would appreciate any detail photos.

Attachments

• 2800 cs - engine compartment prep 1.jpg
    2800 cs - engine compartment prep 1.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 2800 cs - engine compartment prep 2.jpg
    2800 cs - engine compartment prep 2.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 174

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ouch... Time for negative camber plates, or do you already have them?

No camber plates. It actually happened last month up at O’Fest and I am just getting around to fixing it. At one of events they had us park in a field that was uneven with ditches. I do not plan on doing anymore off-roading!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No camber plates. It actually happened last month up at O’Fest and I am just getting around to fixing it. At one of events they had us park in a field that was uneven with ditches. I do not plan on doing anymore off-roading!
i can send you my fender rolling device. you bolt it onto the axle and slowly move it back and forth and will slowly move your fender lip back to a good position ... whether you want to roll them all the way or not

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i can send you my fender rolling device. you bolt it onto the axle and slowly move it back and forth and will slowly move your fender lip back to a good position ... whether you want to roll them all the way or not
And best to use a heat gun to avoid cracking the paint.

stphers

Reaction score
rsporsche,

I know that there is no seam sealer on the hood or trunk lid but I would take a syringe and squeeze a little bit in the seams that are folded over just as another precaution for rust developing down the road. It has to be very little and just enough to seal it, wipe it down with a rag after putting it on so you could hardly see it but it is sealed I am nuts about making sure that I use every precaution to stop rust

Thanks, Rick

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
rsporsche,

I know that there is no seam sealer on the hood or trunk lid but I would take a syringe and squeeze a little bit in the seams that are folded over just as another precaution for rust developing down the road. It has to be very little and just enough to seal it, wipe it down with a rag after putting it on so you could hardly see it but it is sealed I am nuts about making sure that I use every precaution to stop rust

Thanks, Rick

On the other hand, water might get trapped if you seam seal the hood and trunk, resulting in even more rust. I don't have a definitive answer to what's better in this case, but it's something to think about since water/moisture can get to the seam from the other side.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On the other hand, water might get trapped if you seam seal the hood and trunk, resulting in even more rust. I don't have a definitive answer to what's better in this case, but it's something to think about since water/moisture can get to the seam from the other side.
Shoot a water-displacing oil into the seams. I use Owaldöl in CH... Zinz... help me out.. What is the name of the spray oil you treat your aluminum surfaces with in the US?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
And best to use a heat gun to avoid cracking the paint.

Thanks guys. The broom handle worked with incremental and progressive leveraging against the tire to get the lip back to the "L" shape profile (a kinder gentler version of a NASCAR baseball bat tire rub pit stop). As long as I stay on the roads I should be OK without a full front fender roll.