1974 BMW CSE

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
You put very succinctly what I had been trying to grasp. Thank you. My commute in the next year or so (depending on construction issues) will go from 8-10 mins to about 20 minutes. I'd been tinkering with the idea of getting a clean shell of a 2002 and doing a conversion for a DD, but I was a bit intimidated by your efforts. I need to go visit Moment, as they're closer, and try to make it out to see your efforts. Not alot of folks to discuss this with in my part of the world.
Yes, and when I say that DC motors are low-power, that is not very fair, as they can get to 200HP, but not really more than that. But the Torque is so high from 1RPM that you can expect that 200HP to feel like 300 when taking off from a standstill as compared to a 200HP gas engine which only sees 200HP at a narrow RPM range. But even 200HP in a 2002 would be a lot of power:) So when I say low-power that isn't very fair. It is only low compared to 485HP of a 240volt Tesla motor.

The larger issue honestly is that once you put the motor under the hood, half of your battery storage space goes away. So that's why you don't get a lot of range. There just isn't enough room for batteries. You can throw some in the trunk though where the gas tank and spare tire were. (and stay neutral in front/rear balance).

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Making more progress on the coupe this week. My daughter finally asked if she could help which was awesome. She’s a monster with the cutting wheel. All of my gloves were far too big for her so she went without:).

She was cutting out the tranny tunnel as we figured we may as well widen the space down there since there is no tranny. The tunnel is so wide in these cars as you know that the accelerator is almost under the steering wheel:)

Then Tyler got involved cleaning up the firewall and fabricating the additional floor space. We welded studs on for the Tesla accelerator and E46 brake pedal.

Finally, we reinforced the tunnel and mounted our inverted brake setup. To give us more room for batteries in the engine compartment we needed to relocate the brakes. We will use a lever to invert the direction of the brake pedal into the hydrobooser (powered by our 12volt power steering pump) then into the Wilwood master cylinder.

In case you are wondering, we will be capping off the bottom of the tunnel. We will actually be attempting to smooth as much of the bottom of the car as possible with plastic or carbon fiber to help with aerodynamics.

To verify the strength of the installation, we test everything using “Brett Units”. The brake setup is rated at 36BUs.

Markos

Add To Cart
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My commute in the next year or so (depending on construction issues) will go from 8-10 mins to about 20 minutes.
The next time you are on the west coast, be sure to complain to your colleagues and clients that your commute has doubled. Just don’t mention the new time. :D

Markos

Add To Cart
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI - Before you wrap up you welding,
the gusset below is a common reinforcement on e9’s, particularly with race cars. Check out the race car builds for more details. Brendan’s Gossee Beer raver would be a good start.

94AE72B9-9311-4637-872B-BE67965375B2.jpeg

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Haha- awesome thanks guys. I already sent the photos to Brett and Tyler so we can take a look when I get back from my fam vacation. That makes a lot of sense.