'73 Golf Bavaria Build Thread

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bavaria

Car looks fantastic! A few questions if you have time,
Where did you source windshield, and belt line molding?
Checked my steel wheels they are stamped 1/73, sorry they are not 4/73

thanks

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, no worries yeah windshield I didn't have to source, just pulled it out, put in new rubber, and put back. It has a couple minor issues (some spark pits on lower passenger side from welding). Check with Carl at La Jolla Independent.

I got real lucky with the belt trim. There is a guy named Sevan in Sun Valley CA. Shop 818-899-4999 and I will PM cell if you can't get a hold of him. Him and his brother fix mainly 02's, flip them, etc. up there. He was a nice guy and told me they used to do buying trips to Germany where he got my NOS trim. One of the last around that I could tell. It took forever to find NOS trim, I think I got real lucky but you never know. Talk to him and see if they are doing another trip some time. It's the rubber that goes bad, you can always fix the metal. So, that is why good to find NOS if you can. Also, check local pick-n-pulls for Bavaria's. I have found two and one had amazing belt trim on it, couldn't believe it. No longer available however. Good luck! Talk to Carl about the trim too, he might have one or two pieces you need unless you need all of it.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2016-07-15 21.34.14.jpg 2016-07-15 21.34.14.jpg View attachment 19142

Getting used to new site picture uploading format... Not quite getting it yet..

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well I guess we don't have to worry about downsizing anymore but this is too big!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2016-07-15 21.34.14.jpg
    2016-07-15 21.34.14.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Check Cehck 123.... So I downsized second picture and saved to JPG format and as you can see it didn't do SQUAT. Any suggestions???

Last edited:

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
Making some more headway, front Alpina Spoiler and Petri on today.

Hey Shane,

I've enjoyed watching your progress; the car has turned out great and I love the color. I'm curious about the Alpina spoiler...is it possibly from Coupeking, and if so did you have any issues with fitment of the end pieces which wrap up on the fenders? I have had one for several years but haven't gotten around to tackling it as the ends are several inches away from the fenders and there's no way to bend it that far. Peter says that it should be heated gently and then bent. Maybe I need a F'glass expert to tackle it.

Thanks,
Jim

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jim,

Yes it is a Coupeking. Thanks for the compliments. I think I know what your issue is. They have two types of Alpina style spoilers. One, the one I have fits great, not heating required etc. The other one is from a Group 2 car that was made to fit flared fenders. It's a long story but I actually made that mistake by grabbing that one, had it painted even, tried to figure out why it was so much wider than the car even bending it etc. Then we realized we grabbed the wrong one. Just glancing at it they look similar, but one is much longer than the other and a little different shape. I will take a picture of what I am talking about later and you can compare.

-Shane

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shane,

Thank you for your reply. My communication was with Erik, who initially said that there might have been a mixup with what was shipped to me. After I sent the photo below, however, he told me that it was the correct piece but that it would need to be heated and then formed to the fenders. I don't have any experience with re-shaping fiberglass but a bit of on-line research would indicate that there is a finite limit to what can be achieved by heating it. In any case, I need to take it to a F'glass expert so see what can be done. This is a not-so-great photo, but accurately shows the distance each of the ends will be required to move in order to meet up with the fender(s).

BTW: I've never seen a Group 2 E3. I wonder where Peter found enough customers to make an air dam for one...

Thanks Again,

Jim

IMG_0523-L.jpg

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMG_6031.JPG
IMG_6408.JPG
IMG_6409.JPG
2015-09-03 18.58.51.jpg
2015-11-07 14.45.05.jpg
Shane,

Thank you for your reply. My communication was with Erik, who initially said that there might have been a mixup with what was shipped to me. After I sent the photo below, however, he told me that it was the correct piece but that it would need to be heated and then formed to the fenders. I don't have any experience with re-shaping fiberglass but a bit of on-line research would indicate that there is a finite limit to what can be achieved by heating it. In any case, I need to take it to a F'glass expert so see what can be done. This is a not-so-great photo, but accurately shows the distance each of the ends will be required to move in order to meet up with the fender(s).

Thanks Again,

Jim
IMG_6408.JPG
IMG_6409.JPG
2015-09-03 18.58.51.jpg

IMG_0523-L.jpg

Jim, the pictures of the spoilers on their own on the garage floor look like yours to me, and those are WAY too long, I had the same problem, they are for a Group 2 fender kit. They are the wrong mold and go to fiberglass flared fenders. They look very similar unpainted sitting on a shelf next to each other. Like I said, we made same mistake, had both sets, we even painted the wrong one, the one on the garage floor. Those flare up much high just like yours. He needs to send you the one I have. The spoiler should easily follow the line down from the wheel well.

And that makes sense why they would be wider. Take a look at the other pictures of my car with the proper Alpina style spoiler. It is a mold from actual Alpina spoiler and it fit perfect, no heating the spoiler or anything should be necessary. I have a feeling they sent you the exact one that is the two pictures on the garage floor. The tail ends come up way more and it is pretty obvious like the picture from your car that they are not meant for regular E3 fenders. Hope this helps. I added a side shot and one of the latest pics on the lawn at Legends. Yyou will see the lines follow the fender lines nicely.

Last edited:

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shane,

Thank you for the clarification and images. I think that I need to have another conversation with Erik or Peter to see if we can make an exchange. I have had the spoiler for many years while mechanical projects were taking place and never got around to a test fit. I saw your car at the Autobahn in August but you weren't around at the time. My friend, Elliott, who restored the silver 1600 GT which was parked near you is the guy who convinced me to buy my first BMW 46(!) years ago this month. Your car looks every bit as terrific in person as it does in photos.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to snap some photos of the progress, I told you guys not very exciting pictures at this time but I am hoping it comes together quicker than I think. I say mini build thread because I am not going to go super crazy on the updates. The hood and trunk are painted, was able to keep original paint under the trunk lid. We are saving as much as possible as you can see in door jams, inside engine bay, trunk, under the back seat, etc. We are going to blend new paint in as best we can. Since such a rare color I wanted to save as much as possible original. It will be garaged so should not rust too much over the years as I will be keeping very good care of it. I will update when I can when there is some significant progress. Thanks for looking, I'm very excited for this build. Here is the Shutterfly site instead of uploading a bunch of pics here. Click on the second tab pictures and videos and then bottom right you should see a view album link with (24) pictures at the moment.

I guess I forgot to add link:

https://shanesgolfbavaria.shutterfly.com/

-Cheers,

-Shane
Hi Shane;
Beautiful,you should be very proud of the work you have done.
I noticed the temp button missing. Do you need one?
Let me know and I will send you one.
Thanks
Koopman

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E12 Door seals do fit the E3. Only ones available unfortunately are the fronts. I'll get creative for the rears now that I know the front's fit. Door Seal.jpg Door Seal 2.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just had all the dash gauges completely refurbished using modern parts for tach and replaced old lights with long lasting, bright, led lights. Very noticeableClock.jpg Clock 2.jpg Dash.jpg difference at night. I love it! Clock was also completely gone through, refurbished and new led lighting behind it as well, couldn't be happier!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
bavbob..........sorry for late response..........direct swap. Working on finding source. Only thing is you have to make sure negative goes to negative unlike stock bulbs.

Last edited:

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi GolfBavaria,
Nicely done!!
Slick wheels and stance; can you provide wheel size and offset (ET), tire size, and info on your coil springs? I am looking for a slightly larger wheel fitment and lower stance.

Regards
Bill P.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi GolfBavaria,
Nicely done!!
Slick wheels and stance; can you provide wheel size and offset (ET), tire size, and info on your coil springs? I am looking for a slightly larger wheel fitment and lower stance.

Regards
Bill P.
Bill,

Thanks for compliment. Regarding info on the Wheel size. They are Cromodora's 14x6JK if that means anything to you. To be honest, offset and all that regarding wheels is not my strong point. I rely on others for that. Maybe somebody on here knows what the offset is on those particular wheels. P20570R14 are the tires. I got the springs from Carl Nelson and I believe they are made especially for him by Suspension Techniques (ST) for E3's. The rears were cut at by a half a coil, the person that cut them can't remember for sure if 1/2 or full coil but the person that might know I won't be able to ask until after the weekend. -Shane