'73 Sahara Bavaria Restoration

hardtosee_e3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rear calipers are different than the front.
II got my caliper rebuild kits from RockAuto
If the spare MC is unused, I'd just disassemble and inspect and put in a kit. A simple DIY.
RockAuto has all the hoses for $6-8 each.

Great, I've found both caliper rebuild kits on RockAuto.

I'm now leaning towards buying the adapters to accommodate the E9 slotted front rotors

Has anyone used these Dynamic Friction rotors for rear replacements? RockAuto calls them a fit

This may be a moot point; a local shop I trust has the tooling to turn rotors. Just need to measure where they're currently at.

hardtosee_e3

Site Donor
Reaction score
The car is now at Eastgate Motors in Red Hook, NY. They conveniently have a lift and a wide selection of tools.

Here are some shots from some parts discovery/organization and transport on Wednesday.

Along with about 10 headlights, a drawer full of coolant hosing, and one, if not two wiring harnesses, I came across two front calipers* that look like they are barely used, with new pads inserted.

PXL_20210505_175414038.jpg

PXL_20210505_175402921.jpg

PXL_20210505_160640541.jpgPXL_20210505_160633994.jpgPXL_20210505_154255829.jpg

*edit: calipers, not rotors

Last edited:

hardtosee_e3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice project!

View attachment 118466

Is it the original BMW sticker on the silencer?

I like the colors on this photo.

It was! Although I'm not sure it survived the flat bed trip (in the rain, unfortunately). Good news there is that I only found one small leak along the inside of the drivers-side rocker after an hour in the elements and under motion.

hardtosee_e3

Site Donor
Reaction score
The car also came with a separate/spare bosal midpipe setup .. anyone ever run one of these?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think your front bumperettes are on upside down (either that or mine are :) ). Your rear bumperettes look a little strange. I don't think they are upside down, but the face should be flat. Maybe the bumper itself is tweaked some? Odd that the front side reflectors have been shaved, but not the rear marker lights. A good thing that they are gone, however.

It is great to get all those spares with the car. What you can't use will be good trading material. The front turn signal/marker lens and the tail lights are getting to be unobtanium. Parts that also fit an E9 are gold...like the front grills, headlight buckets, Engine parts.

A great looking Bav! It will be a fun and rewarding project.

Rnewman

Reaction score
I also had a booster restored at Ireland Eng. I believe they sent it out
They did a good but not super job, the paint, they painted over a sticker
Just had mine rebuilt from ireland engineering. They painted over rust. Poor paint job. Will redo before installing.

Rnewman

Reaction score
Recently rebuilt front and rear brake calipers. In search of the front cs/csi front caliper pins. I installed the cs/csi spacers in calipers that allow me to run vented rotors. Now the hardware kit I have doesn't work because the pins are to short. So far I can't find the correct kit. Anyone know where to source these???

Attachments

• 17135018756655290095802101451923.jpg
    17135018756655290095802101451923.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 1

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just had mine rebuilt from ireland engineering. They painted over rust. Poor paint job. Will redo before installing.
Rebuild versus restore. Might be better for customers to request "do not paint" since it doesn't make it better.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another one for the Negative Column for Ireland. Seems like mixed results dealing with them these days. I remember something about a new owner. Not sure.

One of my Bavarias was your color. It grows on you, or at least it did on me. My first coupe was Sahara. Those light colors show off the lines and overall design of the body better than the darker colors. However my current Bavaria, 72, is Agave and I love it.

Yes, again, these are great, under valued, under rated, 4 door sedans that handle as well as a 3.0CS Coupe with two doors, weigh almost 200 lbs less and have a more advanced rear suspension. And if you are a slave to air conditioning there are extra ducts left and right sides of the dash that help keep you cooler while the planet warms faster. They are missing on the Coupe and 2002.

Looking forward to your latest chapter.

Steve