Bringing a '74 back up to her intended glory.

Bmachine

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good grief how time flies. A few updates.

The day after that last update, I took the long drive from Rey Rivera's shop, through L.A. and, the following day on up to our new house an hour and a half north of San Francisco. Not too surprisingly, there were a few "special moments", like a hood that became loose, the air dam that became loose and a small electrical issue which caused a serious jump in the heart rate. (https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/from-the-captain-obvious-files-clean-up-your-wiring-mess-before-going-anywhere.32179/#post-263694).

On August 16, after having fixed lots of little things (at least temporarily), I left at 4:00 in the morning to make it to Monterey by 7am for the annual Legends of the Autobahn. Although I had attended in 2016 without my car, it was a bucket list item to bring my coupe there, in all its "works in progress" beauty. The only category I was thinking I could stand a chance in was the "shiniest spare tire rim" one but, sadly, they did not offer it this year.

IMG_5565.jpg

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One teething problem the car had was drivability. There was just something not right with the way the fuel was being delivered and the way the motor was reacting to it. Among other things, the throttle was developing a nasty habit of coming to idle at 2000 rpm instead of 900 when I would let my foot off the gas in stop and go traffic. As you might imagine, this was MEGA irritating and took away a lot of the driving fun. So I made an appointment with the b35 motor master himself, Mr Don Lawrence.

So I left at 6:30 this morning and sat in Bay Area traffic for two hours fighting this intermittent idle issue before arriving in Alameda around 9:15. Fortunately the Doctor was in, grabbed stethoscope and scalpel and dove right in. Several hours later, we had:
- a fully adjusted TPS sensor
- a correctly set throttle linkage with gas pedal set up in the proper position (mine was way too far up)
- a new Motronic computer with a Dinan chip.

The difference was simply remarkable. Not only did the idle issue get solved but the throttle response is now far more controllable and there is a serious increase in "liveliness", especially above 2000rpm. After crossing the various Bay Area bridges on my way home, I got off the freeway as soon as I could to sample the local country roads and was finally able to enjoy a motor which felt liberated!

A huge thank you goes to @sfdon who shared his knowledge, imparted a ton of coupe wisdom on me and freed a lot of horses that were imprisoned inside that otherwise wonderful motor!

Here is a quick and dirty video... and I mean REALLY quick and REALLY dirty, complete with phone camera acting up, dirty windshield etc. I clearly need to practice this technique a lot more.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My electrical mishap on my last trip up north reminded me that I really wanted to add a main fuse right after the battery. So I bought a 150 amp one which I finally installed just before the main cut off switch under the rear seat.

I also added wiring for the e92 seat back lumber and side bolters pump adjustment.

I need to tidy it all up a bit by cutting the wires to proper length. But I have to wait until I get a proper crimping tool before I can do that.

6D93EACF-6C35-4659-BE40-9FECC1DE32C3.jpeg