Bringing a '74 back up to her intended glory.

Discussion in 'E9 Projects and Restorations' started by Bmachine, Jul 30, 2016.

  1. bluecoupe30!

    bluecoupe30! Active Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    696
    Likes Received:
    96
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Nice, thanks for sharing this. Great photos. May attempt on another vehicle I was wondering about. I like the Automotive Touch Up product. Used it when I had my hood torsion bar welded up and needed to repaint.
     
  2. Bmachine

    Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles South Bay / Palos Verdes
    Thank you Chris.
     
  3. Bmachine

    Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles South Bay / Palos Verdes
    Thank you.
    The Auto Touchup paint is good but but it is a closed ecosystem that is fairly inflexible. It requires strict temperature range (70-90F) and there is no rust inhibitors in the primer. When asked what rust protection would work with their system, they told me they have not tested any. Seam sealers don't work with their primers either. They are acrylic lacquer paints. And if you run out of paint, you can't just drive to the auto parts store to get more. It takes a couple of weeks for them to mix it up and ship it. For a full engine bay and nose cone area like this you should order 5 cans of each. Primer, color and clear.
    They did (somewhat reluctantly it seemed) tell me that Duplicolor makes an acrylic lacquer primer that is compatible with theirs. So at least in an emergency, you can find extra primer if your local shop carries that one. I think the Duplicolor code in BPR0031 IIRC.
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    bluecoupe30! and mulberryworks like this.
  4. Bmachine

    Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles South Bay / Palos Verdes
    Little time available this weekend because of the SoCal vintage BMW meet. But I started cleaning up the front struts and springs. I cleaned and repainted the springs that now have one coil cut off.

    I notice some yellow paint on the upper strut "cup". Seems like a strange place to to drop some paint. Anyone else see this before? Is there some meaning to this???

    I removed the existing struts. Some old Sachs. Leaking of course. Possibly originals? I thought Boge were the original.
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. Bmachine

    Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles South Bay / Palos Verdes
    I noticed that, on top of the yellow paint there were traces of a substance that almost looked like cold weld, JB weld type at the bottom of the cup, right around the main shaft. I wonder what that was doing there. There are otherwise no traces of repair or anything like that. Any ideas?
     

    Attached Files:

  6. Bmachine

    Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles South Bay / Palos Verdes
    I had a rare weekend with both days off. Time to try and move the project along!
    Continuing the front end work with the struts. First in the bead blasting chamber. My moveable system works quite well although a full size strut is about the biggest that can go in there. I remove all the questionable areas leaving the good paint reasonably unscathed. Painted with sating black epoxy paint.
     

    Attached Files:

  7. Bmachine

    Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles South Bay / Palos Verdes
    Next are the wheel bearings. I had refinished the hubs a while ago so it was time to put the new bearings in. The reusable parts (cups, nuts and special washer) are first degreased and cleaned up.
    After pounding the races in by using the old ones to help punch them down, I suddenly remembered that I had actually bought a bearing seating tool kit a year ago... Duh! At least I remembered before I started the second one...
     

    Attached Files:

  8. Bmachine

    Bmachine Well-Known Member Site Donor $

    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Los Angeles South Bay / Palos Verdes
    Next it was time to finally put together my powder coating system. I had been doing a lot of research on it and parts gathering over the last few month.

    I got a large mini oven which several people had recommended. Just as I was about to start, I realized I needed some sort of rack to get these parts in there without touching them. A quick bit of brain scratching and I came up with the idea of using flat brackets and 1/4-20 threaded rods. This would make for an easily adjustable rack that could be extended to work in vertical mode with the oven on its side for tall parts. Some 12 gauge copper wire allowed me to make hooks of various sizes and shapes.

    I was fairly happy with the results.
     

    Attached Files:

    mulberryworks and Markos like this.

Share This Page