The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
@teahead, no idea. If it wasn't in the list I posted, then no. What is it? I will send to Gary.

And did you order this already?

diff-box-reinforcement.JPG

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I cannot believe how complicated this process has been. I honestly thought it was just a matter of walking to a shop and asking them to paint my car and giving them a check. Simply replacing the bumpers is more complicated than most business transactions I have been involved in. Oddly, I have come to sort of enjoy the process but I am glad that it is soon coming to an end. I don’t know what I could’ve done without the help of all of you collectively. I feel like you are my brothers and my closest friends. I have a weird desire to drive around the country and me and thank each of you personally, of course with a poodle. Thanks again. Who wants to bet that I will be ordering more parts soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i missed the sale? ?
I don't think you missed it. Many of these parts are currently offered for a lower introductory price - through March 11. It looks like the prices you listed are the lower prices:

Bumper rubber !
Dear Mr. Bruns,

don´t forget our INTRODUCTION PRICE for

BUMPER RUBBER
FOR BMW E9

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think you missed it. Many of these parts are currently offered for a lower introductory price - through March 11. It looks like the prices you listed are the lower prices:

Bumper rubber !
Dear Mr. Bruns,

don´t forget our INTRODUCTION PRICE for

BUMPER RUBBER
FOR BMW E9

Well that is good. I thought I missed a coupon code or something. Thank you all

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OEM tire Size: 195/70/14 – dia. 24.7”, 77.7” circ, rev / mile = 815

Substitutes: 205/60/15 – dia. 24.7”, 77.6” circ, rev / mile = 817

Substitutes: 225/55/15 – dia. 24.7”, 77.7” circ, rev / mile = 815

Substitutes: 205/55/16 – dia. 24.9”, 78.2” circ, rev / mile = 811

Substitutes: 225/50/16 – dia. 24.9” 78.1” circ, rev / mile = 811

Substitutes: 245/40/17 – dia. 24.7”, 77.6” circ, rev / mile = 816

Dohn

Reaction score
I cannot believe how complicated this process has been. I honestly thought it was just a matter of walking to a shop and asking them to paint my car and giving them a check. Simply replacing the bumpers is more complicated than most business transactions I have been involved in.

My diving boards are looking better and better...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Substitutes: 205/55/16 – dia. 24.9”

Substitutes: 225/50/16 – dia. 24.9”

There's your tire sizes right there. 205s for the front, 225s for the rear

Those are rare BBS wheels all done. For $2400 refurbished you can't go wrong with them and you'll be able to sell them no matter what for what you paid.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love
Curious if there is any reason why i can’t have these? I know my wheels now are 14 inch rims and I am lowering my suspension; would I still be able to fit 16 inch rims and what tires would you recommend?

Yes, those 16" BBS will fit when lowered, the outside tire dimension is very close to what you have now.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,
Remember way back when we told you doing the bumper conversion wasn’t trivial...
Then you decided to redo the suspension, then the wood, then the bright trim, now wheels and tires? There is a name for this, “shipwrights disease.”

As long as they roll your fenders you can go to bigger tires/wheels anytime later.

Shipwrights disease: Goes something like this:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to change bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the
wire.
Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
Sailor notices teak exterior trim looks shabby with respect to the new dally trim, and starts restoring the trim. Sailor notices the stainless fittings are scratched and dull.

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is
undertaking a
major renovation of the entire boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Substitutes: 205/55/16 – dia. 24.9”

Substitutes: 225/50/16 – dia. 24.9”

There's your tire sizes right there. 205s for the front, 225s for the rear

Those are rare BBS wheels all done. For $2400 refurbished you can't go wrong with them and you'll be able to sell them no matter what for what you paid.

Ok. I think I am going to pull the trigger. Damn it. I can see the path I am going down... Next, the interior? Then a new engine. When does the madness stop? I am now on Tire Rack. Any recommendations?

I had just purchased new tires for my coupe. Any chance I can sell my existing tires and rims, or should I just hold onto them?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW
If you need a rear bumper connector piece, any shop that can make custom body panels can hammer one out in about one hour then get it chromed. Might cost you up to $200 all in. I would not go polished stainless because it won’t match the hue of nickel chrome

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
tirerack.com

I went with Kumhos, they are good tires for distance driving a good compromise of performance and longevity, relatively inexpensive.

Yes to big sway bars, bought my Suspension Techniques bars from Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent. Can click on the Athena link in my signature for bar spec's

I'd keep the 14s as long as you have space to store them, sell the tires.

When does the madness stop...when you look at the car and and say F'yeah that's perfect. You are well on your way to that point.

Next: VSR CSL air dam. vsr1.com, If you seriously want the air dam, recommend putting Expel clear bra on it after paint. Adding this will have to be scribed for the front bumper and it will determine where the front bumper goes.
Estimate for air dam, paint and Expel: $1300-1500.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Scott, I just viewed your video and sorry I have not followed more closely but my opinion is that there really is only one way to do these cars and that is the right way. I honestly think it will take more time to sculpt the bondo than to replace the panels etc and your money savings come from managing the job correctly. Please forgive me if I am superfluous in my comment as I have not had time to go through all the pages and comments yet. I do think your contribution here is extremely valuable to our group so thanks very much for taking the time to do this!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott, I just viewed your video and sorry I have not followed more closely but my opinion is that there really is only one way to do these cars and that is the right way. I honestly think it will take more time to sculpt the bondo than to replace the panels etc and your money savings come from managing the job correctly. Please forgive me if I am superfluous in my comment as I have not had time to go through all the pages and comments yet. I do think your contribution here is extremely valuable to our group so thanks very much for taking the time to do this!

Thank you. Don’t thank me. This group has been amazing. Not sure if your opinion is that I am doing this “right“ as that was not necessarily my intention when I started but I feel like I am doing it close to right. We have not chased down every single brown spot more help we done a bare metal restoration but I am happy with the process.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
tirerack.com

I went with Kumhos, they are good tires for distance driving a good compromise of performance and longevity, relatively inexpensive.

Yes to big sway bars, bought my Suspension Techniques bars from Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent. Can click on the Athena link in my signature for bar spec's

I'd keep the 14s as long as you have space to store them, sell the tires.

When does the madness stop...when you look at the car and and say F'yeah that's perfect. You are well on your way to that point.

Next: VSR CSL air dam. vsr1.com, If you seriously want the air dam, recommend putting Expel clear bra on it after paint. Adding this will have to be scribed for the front bumper and it will determine where the front bumper goes.
Estimate for air dam, paint and Expel: $1300-1500.

This is being installed http://www.coupeking.com/product/cs-csi-csl-alpina-style-spoiler/

Will probably wait on the anti-sway bars. Not sure how to expect a sale of the tires alone but will give it some thought on putting it on eBay. I only think I have 2000 miles on them at most

Status
Not open for further replies.