The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
3c71ed8bf15f8a989f610fe9a5674b33.jpeg

Getting closer to this every day. I do like the look of no front bumper shown here. I am too far down the line with the bumper to delete. Would love to get the clear side view front indicators instead of the Amber ones I have. I tried to order them previously but they never arrived and had to cancel. Any ideas on a good source for them? Interesting that this vehicle shows black windshield wiper arms instead of chrome? Otherwise it appears I am well on the way to achieving this look now that I have ordered the tires and wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the no front bumper look as well. My Sienna coupe is like this with CoupeKing 'Alpina' air dam and my Polaris will be set up like this when it is redone. Personal opinion, but the front bumper detracts from the body line (like braces on a supermodel) and makes an otherwise timeless design, dated. The rear bumper is visually necessary to break up what is a large flat area if not mounted. As it is, I wish that the rear bumper was even smaller. That clear indicator looks great with black.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the no front bumper look as well. My Sienna coupe is like this with CoupeKing 'Alpina' air dam and my Polaris will be set up like this when it is redone. Personal opinion, but the front bumper detracts from the body line (like braces on a supermodel) and makes an otherwise timeless design, dated. The rear bumper is visually necessary to break up what is a large flat area if not mounted. As it is, I wish that the rear bumper was even smaller. That clear indicator looks great with black.

I could not agree more. Is it too late to change my mind having restored and replayed it all of the bumpers and ordered all the bits and pieces? I don’t mind the look of the bumper but I much prefer without. Is it something I can do later or I assume I need to make a decision now

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
0e9946341204853efaa36286f3115312.jpg

Not sure who recommended I figure out if my headlights need replacing but I asked Gary and he said so. So here we go. Any recommendations on the best headlights to get?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Headlights, if you have US spec sealed beams, new halogens are inexpensive. Most likely available through Napa, or preferred local parts store.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I went with the Hella H1/H4 European lamps - which I believe are technically not legal for use in the US. But for me they are bright, have a great pattern, and are "correct" for this vintage BMW. Adding a relay circuit is strongly recommended, as these lamps draw more than the car originally saw. Plus, a modern relay setup allows these (or any) lamps to shine brighter with reduced voltage drop...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI:

Todd Springer
to me
btw_ic_expand_black_12dp.png

4:32 PM
btw_ic_overflow_black_24dp.png

Hi Scott,

Sorry we missed you. The secretary has gone for the day. Unfortunately this is the wrong process to refinish the wood veneers. Those would need to be solid metal parts. The water and paint systems wouldn’t work well in this instance. It would cause more problems than it would fix. Sorry L

Thanks,

Todd Springer

1129 E Pine Ave., Ste.101

Meridian, ID 83642

Office 208 288-1008

Fax 208 947-1181

www.HydroDip.com

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI:

Unfortunately this is the wrong process to refinish the wood veneers. Those would need to be solid metal parts. The water and paint systems wouldn’t work well in this instance. It would cause more problems than it would fix.

Interesting. I would think you can hydrodip ANYTHING! Well...get a hold of Bela!

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I could not agree more. Is it too late to change my mind having restored and replayed it all of the bumpers and ordered all the bits and pieces? I don’t mind the look of the bumper but I much prefer without. Is it something I can do later or I assume I need to make a decision now

You can set it up to accept the euro bumper but not actually mount it. The ‘74’s have larger openings than the thinner, more narrow euro slat opening in the front, so it will mean some welding for your crew; nothing major, but it adds up. I welded the holes on my ‘74 shut, so you can’t tell a bumper was ever mounted there. Works for me, but it is a more permanent solution than you may want. I mounted a Coupeking CSL bumper in the rear and have been happy with it.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, am I crazy? I am reconsidering attaching the chrome bumper to the front and going with the monochrome look as shown above. What would it take to configure so that I could later decide to put the bumper on which I doubt. The car looks so much better without it.

09145ca9235ffd54c19b9d0304bc2840.jpg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
796a5a8957894a3471a8ee9fb2de6786.jpg
8565681877cfc3477b8a1d845928fb66.jpg

Side-by-side, is there really any other answer then to delete the front bumper? Wish I had thought of this sooner. Who wants to buy a fully restored front bumper with all necessary parts?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
The other alternative is to delete the rubber on the Chrome and have it filled in and re-chromed. I think that the front bumper might look good that way as well as the rear. I really hate the thin rubber on the Chrome. Breaks it up.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
01d5572d6fa16c509eb7d43a66356f0e.jpg

I am so confused. From bumper looks good here if I delete some rubber. Maybe the answer is bumpers with out rubber or just some rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.