Will have to start somewhere

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Steve, from your earlier post;
Not including the vacuum pump and gauge set (about $160):

compressor and bracket - $190 "Sanden style" 709 compressor (could also use 508 style) and York mounting bracket from Johnjoysyl eBay seller. He can sell you a custom kit like this per your spec, just contact him:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDEN-STYL...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d51fcc885

condensor- $90 16"x18" parallel flow version from nostalgicairparts.com

hoses and fittings - $120 local hydraulic shop and NAPA for fittings

dryer - $30 various sources on ebay or RMEuropean/AZAuto

machine shop work - $30 local shop-same one that resurfaced my flywheel

misc brackets and bolts - $15

Make sure you read the part about flare vs o-ring fittings!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Steve & Bwana, I will start collecting parts. I have another question- unrelated though-

The tar mat that lines the inner floorboards I think adds a significant amount of sound deadening to the car and was wondering if there is a place to get the original style stuff, conversely is there a recommended substitute.

Thanks,

Rear end coming out this afternoon and just getting refreshed- no major modifications, just new bushings, shocks springs and perches as well as the diff mount. I'll also take this opportunity to put in the new steel fuel line I made and hope fits :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shop class 101

Ordering the Dynamat tomorrow. That stuff is not cheap, luckily I only need a little.

I'm not much with body work but I thought I would take my time and patch the rear inner/outer rocker. I was able to weld a piece onto the inner rocker and then applied Por-15 liberally. Then I fashioned a patch for the outer and did my best to make everything look stock. I think it turned out OK but glad it will be covered by the rocker cover. I also have not had much luck finding pieces for the floor so I made some that should work. It's no wonder metal workers get paid so much! Anyhow, here goes-

Attachments

• rust hole2.jpg
    rust hole2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 308
  • rust hole3.jpg
    rust hole3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 266
  • rust patch7.jpg
    rust patch7.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 288
  • rust patch8.jpg
    rust patch8.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 279
  • rust patch5.jpg
    rust patch5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 279

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Peter -- why aren't you using that dynamat substitute you put in your Blue coupe?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, the "accoustimat" is pretty good but it's thinner than the stock stuff so I wanted to get something closer to the original since I'm just replacing select pieces and I would like to match the thickness. I do like the "accoustimat" though and it's really easy to use and mold around corners plus it does not get soft with heat and ooze black spooge everywhere as I have heard the Eastwood product does- (no complaints on the Dyna-Mat though)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First part of the floor patch is in but not completely welded all the way around. The structural pieces are a bear though. These still need some fine tuning but I hope when I'm done they look "stock". They are the correct thickness and very difficult to shape.

I do not enjoy welding in tight places :-(

Attachments

• floor pieces.jpg
    floor pieces.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 318
  • floor patch.jpg
    floor patch.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
two down 2 to go

finished the patch on the drivers floor, it all fit pretty well and I think once I have it seam sealed and undercoated it will be difficult to tell unless some one has to rip into it, but I'll be long dead by that time so if they curse me I won't care. Pic is not so good because the por-15 is really shiny but I'll move over to the passenger side soon then I can start putting the interior back in.

Attachments

• floor patch done.jpg
    floor patch done.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 271

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you want any hope of having paint stick to the POR 15 you need to use their topcoat first, been there done that.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, another peaceful sunday :) after spending over 8 hours Saturday playing "Griswald" with the holiday lights, the penguins, Santa and even a pink pig on skis I was able to sneak away to the shop for some welding practice. As you can see I have still a bit of grinding to do but I actually got the curves correct so now one more hole on the passengers floor and she can start going back together on the inside, but there is plenty left to do...

Chris, I ordered the Wurth undercoating in spray cans so I'll post the results- thanks for the info.

Attachments

• tunnel weld.jpg
    tunnel weld.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 288
  • tunnel weld1.jpg
    tunnel weld1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 304
  • tunnel weld2.jpg
    tunnel weld2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 279
  • tunnel weld3.jpg
    tunnel weld3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 283

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter, I deleted the incorrect VIN for you just now from the Registry, just doing some housekeeping. Your 2800CS had only two VINs assigned after yours, it may be be one of the last ones built. Ask BMW for the build date, link is on bottom left of the Registry page. 2270641 was built 3/26/71.

Chris

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I will check that out tomorrow- I appreciate the effort. I did get the last floor piece started, actually it's welded in but need to attach the little box and flap. I'm kind of not liking welding very much, it's very messy, smelly and I'm not very good at it...well, I guess I could say that about lots of stuff we do on these cars but I would rather do mechanical work than something that makes me pretend to have some artistic skill, I truly believe I grind off more metal than I leave on:-(

I'm going to build a little "welding tent" so I can fix the back parcel shelf and I'll probably use some filler, it won't be perfect but WTF was someone thinking.

Next on my list is to do something really stupid and buy a paint gun so I can spray the engine compartment. I will go to a friends body shop and volunteer for the day so I can get some tips. Just another thing I'll end up doing at least twice :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
question/opinion(s)

Well, now that 99% of the welding is out of the way and the mold has mostly dissipated I'm doing some general clean up and detailing. In one of the pictures below behind the headlamp buckets (which are removed) it seems as though there was some "undercoating" applied there- Should that be removed?

Next, as you can see the side of the engine bay has yellowed significantly, then it was over-sprayed; I would clean off the new paint and leave the original baked silver but the battery side of the bay is pretty much stripped of paint, so I will have to re-paint the bay; semi-colon again-would you mix the paint to bring back the "baked" look or would you paint it the correct color and let it just get old. The engine will not be "dressed up" at all, just really clean. In the scheme of things I guess either would work but I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Attachments

• paint question.jpg
    paint question.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 261
  • paint question1.jpg
    paint question1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 250