1974 BMW CSE

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Today I put the tail lights on and our plate. Mostly so that I can have less chance of getting pulled over while I do some test runs on the public streets near our shop the next few weeks. I'm also going to need to decide about the license plate holder. We whipped up a bracket for now, but I'd prefer to go without the bulky lights my trim piece is designed for.

Still, it's fun to see the project looking more and more like a car:)

Plate on.JPG

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
possible answer for your lighting question:

IF i'm right, then the European version of the rear bumper has the lights in them. I think what you have is (correct for your market) a US aluminium tail light panel with provisions for the lights, next to the license plate. If you want to loose those lights, you could consider an EU rear bumper & matching EU trim panel without the provision for the lights.

just a random image picked from internet: notice the Non-US rear bumper & taillight panel.

1579106931706.png

Last edited:

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
possible answer for your lighting question:

IF i'm right, then the European version...

Thanks Erik,

It's funny because my car was sold in Berlin, and had the Euro panel. But it had the red fog lamp in it, so I traded it out with a guy here so that I could have the cleaner look of the non-fog panel. But I had no idea that there are apparently three panel types. I do in fact want the one from your photo and I will configure very small lights perhaps into my mounting plate (to keep them off of the bumper and the side).

Thanks again!

Paul

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
USA 72 and earlier had license plate lights in the bumper, 73 on had the lights in the rear panel on either side of the plate, and blanks in the holes of the bumper.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Erik,

It's funny because my car was sold in Berlin, and had the Euro panel. But it had the red fog lamp in it, so I traded it out with a guy here so that I could have the cleaner look of the non-fog panel. But I had no idea that there are apparently three panel types. I do in fact want the one from your photo and I will configure very small lights perhaps into my mounting plate (to keep them off of the bumper and the side).

Thanks again!

Paul

I would guess that there are five different panel variations:

• Chrome without fog
  • Chrome with fog
  • Aluminum without fog, bumper mounted lights
  • Aluminum without fog, tail mounted lights
  • Aluminum with fog, bumper mounted lights

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would guess that there are five different panel variations:

• Chrome without fog
  • Chrome with fog
  • Aluminum without fog, bumper mounted lights
  • Aluminum without fog, tail mounted lights
  • Aluminum with fog, bumper mounted lights

So the question then would be, does the Chrome without fog also have bumper mounted lights? I am considering opening the checkbook for Chrome if it is the no-lights version.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not following you?

Sorry. Didn’t really need to quote you. I have the chrome tail panel with no extra holes for bumper lights. My point is that they are relatively common given that they can on the 2800CS. I know there is a cutoff as discussed in the FAQ.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So the question then would be, does the Chrome without fog also have bumper mounted lights? I am considering opening the checkbook for Chrome if it is the no-lights version.
I have a chrome panel, no fog light hole, no LP light holes - just the three recessed/dimpled attachment holes. It was from a '69 German car, I believe. EDIT: I bought it from a guy in Germany, but I would imagine it would be a US panel since no fog light?

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a chrome panel, no fog light hole, no LP light holes - just the three recessed/dimpled attachment holes. It was from a '69 German car, I believe. EDIT: I bought it from a guy in Germany, but I would imagine it would be a US panel since no fog light?

You are willing to part with it?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Paul.,
Sorry, no. I misread Chris's post and was just sharing that a chrome version without LP light holes exists (as if Chris would have not known that). This one is going on my car. But they are out there, from the earlier coupes. I'll let you know if I find another one.
Stephen

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I got the bug so I picked this up yesterday. It isn't perfect, but it's close enough to make the car look clean. Then perhaps eventually I will have it restored properly.

Now I have to make a license plate mounting adaptor and have it chromed so that the visible end bits look like they belong.

Thanks guys for the steering on this.

Paul

Rear Trim.png

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I got the bug so I picked this up yesterday. It isn't perfect, but it's close enough to make the car look clean. Then perhaps eventually I will have it restored properly.

Now I have to make a license plate mounting adaptor and have it chromed so that the visible end bits look like they belong.

Paul

View attachment 84761
That's beautiful, congrats. I believe this chrome panel is the proper piece to connect the chrome tail lights - as the designers intended.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Paul
Paul, Coupeking has a license holder:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Every time I get near anything electric I get shocked so I don't think I'll ever get to an electric e9, and although I'd rather prefer a classic car with it's classic heart I think the work necessary to bring this this car back from near death (a la Monte Python) and the skill with which it's being resurrected allows the "creator" full license to do whatever he or she deems fashionable. Even from a purist's point of view (and I'm no purist) an electric e9 on the road is much more better than a heap of Russian rust...

Sorry... 3 cents