Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Heck no, no offense taken and I didn't intend to come off combative, you can disparage my car anytime! The BMW accesories book of 1973 shows a post-style Becker as an option, is there a site that dates the radios by serial number? I could not find one a while back. That link you posted shows what was appropriate for Mercedes, not BMW?

C8AzPxrXRyzVW5zTjfUtSvYp5y3iN4MIR34fz684rEG1bYvXWlFqK3nMwyRE8CiMKk2gizc5xZRgQf4htWdxEZk8xIfmheesGxJwuteloREmh96RPoYsd4iZ3dEaLo6Gv_PZN5luEaX7xYXVKA_ZuzQwWDuEtYeFZFiScUz9b2EiSHtpDohzOBX2V1hCrCB4sSbCuAKvcHxYFJV74jCxQXNubFmSdzuyJbAQ11-s0c34eagO_gehf-ST5mmqWypoTJgvMjRVs_g6tZx_oeO3xyUVDBX3QPsHIZuxx0dp0jsrDHfgDDub0xvoBaovtG1hfkQISUX-oR8r8Xrb1kRKO0p2afCOPOL6h9riWL70wchcTqwGCql6NwwQzYXVhpWwhhAkZ_Wg3bDpQePMYKHJKelMXvvQHDng61_6A0uI20fMd1HXnGIe6WLaPJZiETqvJkEU-ago-VLdmRabaB5z9Cb73a8wZkssgDLU0Vc7IzMU45cbtT-pBvPkNmy3y1cS_LEnjs6t9jO7BLsgLaVsi6YLeStQQhbibS0FysD62pouIj1F_jDPpCq8q0woqc9IzdxUVsyxdYhhk_a68TMPOs6ec31RH7V74X67VyENALtTAHdPpS_VVKUhsYcCOmg=w837-h759-no

Thanks Steve! This info is great. What I would really like to find is a serial number chart for Beckers. I found it when I first started researching the post style becker’s, but I can’t find it now. Multiple people mention that the serial decoding is similar to blaupunkt, but the information is difficult to find.

As far as the info, I presume that the date ranges are for the radios not the vehicles. I found other references to that site where folks make the same presumption, but it is difficult to confirm. I’ve used BMW adverts to backup my observations before, so why stop now?!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't see any post-style Europas in that Mercedes link?

The 1955 to 1963 range is a Europa post radio with a trim plate. I think those are mercedes years BTW. I’ll hunt around for becker dating info this weekend. Because I am a boring dad with small children and I don’t like TV shows about vampires. :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The parts book lists Becker stereos available as the Mexico, Europa and Grand Prix, all of these were shaft mount radios. And all of these are very hard to find now.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The parts book lists Becker stereos available as the Mexico, Europa and Grand Prix, all of these were shaft mount radios. And all of these are very hard to find now.

What I will do once I have the decoder is find pictures of post radios with serials in the e9 date range.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From a friend: The Becker A prefix = 1965, C = 1967, E = 1969, G = 1971, J = 1973, L= 1975, The letters I and O were not used. Can’t find a definitive website though, unlike Blaupunkt. This is his photo, there is a 75 L Europa Stereo in the back.

Attachments

• 29BF2E1F-C4F1-4223-89D6-89DCA0970DA0.jpeg
    29BF2E1F-C4F1-4223-89D6-89DCA0970DA0.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Didn't the Grand Prix have a separate amplifier box that mounted to the dash?

Here's a better pic of the "H".
s-l1600 (10).jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Didn't the Grand Prix have a separate amplifier box that mounted to the dash?

My ‘73 Grand Prix has a separate box. Things generally aren’t more streamlined as you go back in time, so I would presume yes.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does that mean that the eBay add for the Grand Prix is missing a key ingredient? Or are there variants of the Grand Prix that didn't need the remote amplifier?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not all GPs had a separate amp, only older ones but don’t know when it changed.
I am missing my Grand Prix radio and separate amp - but the bracket for the GP amp is still mounted to the firewall behind/above the glove compartment. 04/1974 build, although I assume the radios could have been added at the dealer later.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not all GPs had a separate amp, only older ones but don’t know when it changed. I found this:

• Grand Prix TG - partly transistorised, Two units, Assembly with tubes and transistors, Automatic station tuning and Pushbutton station selection
  • Europa TG - partly transistorised, Two units, Assembly with tubes and transistors, Pushbutton station selection
  • Mexico TG - partly transistorised, Two units, Assembly with tubes and transistors, Automatic station tuning
  • Monte Carlo TR - fully transistorised, Single unit
  • Europa TR - fully transistorised, Two units, Pushbutton station selection
  • Mexico TR - fully transistorised, Two units, Automatic station tuning
  • Grand Prix TR - fully transistorised, Two units, Automatic station tuning and Pushbutton station selection
  • Avus TR - fully transistorised, Single unit
  • Mexico Cassette - Two units, Automatic station tuning and Stereo cassette, from 1970
  • Europa MU - fully transistorised, Single unit, AM FM, 5 pushbutton station selection
  • Europa Stereo - Two units, Pushbutton station selection, from 1970
  • Grand Prix - Single unit, from 1970
These are the older units and doesn’t seem to show later models like Europa IIs.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They must have overlapped. Maybe the Europa
flipped to the new style first. Here is a DIN style 1971:

4106F0B9-03CB-4D88-B15F-ED89DCAF6C0B.jpeg
C97A79F3-939A-4B44-BC5C-996F97E106C7.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Becker shaft mount radios are Universal models and harder to find as Mercedes used exclusively the DIN mount radios all through the sixties and seventies. You can’t convert DIN mount to the shaft mount faceplate either.