• E3C1D7CC-B5B7-4980-970C-19DE828B7F0A.jpeg
    E3C1D7CC-B5B7-4980-970C-19DE828B7F0A.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 6B5F8D88-227C-42B3-95E9-550CEFFC44B7.jpeg
    6B5F8D88-227C-42B3-95E9-550CEFFC44B7.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 95

Hinemn

Reaction score
OK, here is a brain teaser. Can somebody enlighten me and give me a realistic dollar figure on what this car could realistically sell for as whole as it sits with and without the Alpina wheels or if I was to part it out what kind of money should the major parts sell for? I'm still not decided on what to do with this relic.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK, here is a brain teaser. Can somebody enlighten me and give me a realistic dollar figure on what this car could realistically sell for as whole as it sits with and without the Alpina wheels or if I was to part it out what kind of money should the major parts sell for? I'm still not decided on what to do with this relic.

I saw a CSL with papers sell for 36K (GBP) a while back. This isn't a CSL and not sure what papers you have. Your wheels are desirable though. I'd of thought 10-15k AUD would pull it up as a parts car, given all of the parts need a lot of work. Price may be lower in your region as E9 parts easier to come by?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 2 cents, looking at it from a north European perspective:
(using that 1 USD is about 1 euro)

I do not see any value in the steel sheet of the car; anything can be fixed, but for a restoration to be economic, I'd personnally skip your car and purchase another body to start with if I were in the market. Which kinda means the VIN is 'dead'. For 25K you won't even have your body fixed to a rust free condition. A decent rust fix at a reputable shop will cost you >50Kusd. For 40K you buy a decent car here that looks OK from 10 feet, and actually runs and drives ok for another 5 to 10 years. (think @Belgiumbarry 's car; it runs better than most e9's, and that for under 40K!)

So what remains is engine, trans, axles, interior, vehicle trim, glass, wheels etc .
-Engine: I'm no expert at all, but I would be hesitant to put any value to it as it been sitting for quite a while: if it's seized then the main block could be dead i think, leaving you only with the old Csi components, which are quite desirable upgrade for anyone with a 2500, 2800 or carbed 3000.
- transmission in the car: you did not tell us if's a 4 spd, 5spd or automatic. So no idea of value. The fresh one you have is a 4 speed, and would fetch between 500-1000 usd if it runs smoothly.
- axles: your rear disc brake setup is a desirable upgrade for anyone with a 2500, 2800. Most or all of it can be reconditioned usually.
- We haven't seen pics of the interior, so that makes is difficult to judge the value of that component. Could be between 500 usd for all crap parts (allowing only rigid steel /alu parts to be reused and possibly smaller plastic switches etc) to 20.000 USD for a pristine full interior: seats, doorpanels, dash, center console, headlining.
- Vehicle trim: chrome trim looks like salvageable, so does most of the anodized outside trim parts.
- glass: looks decent. Is there delamination of the front windshield? do the windows have the original 'securit' branding?
- wheels; discussed already.

Engine: no clue
axles: 500
vehicle trim; 1000 in all.
wheels: 3K?
interior: send pics
glass; 300
trans in the car: no clue, the other one 500-1000 usd.

put it up for sale for 6K and it won't be long in your driveway.
Put it up for sale for 20K, and you may have a nice miniature ecosystem developing in/on it over the next few years.

Last edited:

Hinemn

Reaction score
I saw a CSL with papers sell for 36K (GBP) a while back. This isn't a CSL and not sure what papers you have. Your wheels are desirable though. I'd of thought 10-15k AUD would pull it up as a parts car, given all of the parts need a lot of work. Price may be lower in your region as E9 parts easier to come by?

Hey Wes
Almost sounds too good to be true for a CSL and very good point regarding mine. Thanks for your input, stay tuned as the restorod isn't completely dead yet. :)

Hinemn

Reaction score
My 2 cents, looking at it from a north European perspective:
(using that 1 USD is about 1 euro)

I do not see any value in the steel sheet of the car; anything can be fixed, but for a restoration to be economic, I'd personnally skip your car and purchase another body to start with if I were in the market. Which kinda means the VIN is 'dead'. For 25K you won't even have your body fixed to a rust free condition. A decent rust fix at a reputable shop will cost you >50Kusd. For 40K you buy a decent car here that looks OK from 10 feet, and actually runs and drives ok for another 5 to 10 years. (think @Belgiumbarry 's car; it runs better than most e9's, and that for under 40K!)

So what remains is engine, trans, axles, interior, vehicle trim, glass, wheels etc .
-Engine: I'm no expert at all, but I would be hesitant to put any value to it as it been sitting for quite a while: if it's seized then the main block could be dead i think, leaving you only with the old Csi components, which are quite desirable upgrade for anyone with a 2500, 2800 or carbed 3000.
- transmission in the car: you did not teel us if's a 4 spd, 5spd or automatic. So no idea of value. The fresh one you have is a 4 speed, and would fetch between 500-1000 usd if it runs smoothly.
- axles: your rear disc brake setup is a desirable upgrade for anyone with a 2500, 2800. Most or all of it can be reconditioned usually.
- We haven't seen pics of the interior, so that makes is difficult to judge the value of that component. Could be between 500 usd for all crap parts (allowing only rigid steel /alu parts to be reused and possibly smaller plastic switches etc) to 20.000 USD for a pristine set.
- Vehicle trim: chrome trim looks like salvageable, so does most of the anodized outside trim parts.
- glass: looks decent. Is there delamination of the front windshield? do the windows have the original 'securit' branding?
- wheels; discussed already.

Engine: no clue
axles: 500
vehicle trim; 1000 in all.
wheels: 3K?
interior: send pics
glass; 300
trans in the car: no clue, the other one 500-1000 usd.

put it up for sale for 6K and it won't be long in your driveway.
Put it up for sale for 20K, and you may have a nice miniature ecosystem developing in/on it over the next few years.
Hey Erik
I think you hit the nail right on the head here, all very valid points that have all gone through my head. Sell the car as whole for ???? and have one lump sum of cash and car or endless project out of my life. Part it our and sell and ship parts all over the glove...for who knows how long...which I actually don't mind doing, but then I'll have a decaying parts car sitting around I can't do anything with other than sell parts and take forever to recoup my money.

In my mind the E9 is still one of the sexiest BMWs ever produced and I hate to see this car die, if only I could commit time and money to restorod this piece of art. Restoration is out of the question, I've done enough rust work in my life to know when to not throw good money after bad.

I make up my mind to sell the car then when I go and see it at my friends place I then can't get myself to pull the trigger because I love the car. One thing I know for sure, I will not sit on it for 18 years like the guy before me.

I actually don't know how many speeds the transmission has but since the spare is a 4 speed I assume the car is 4 speed as well.
Interior is all there but in very rough condition, Carpet it dead. Door panels are good, wood is restorable, buttons look to be good but I'm not counting on them actually working.

Thanks for your input.
Cheers

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hinemn, I am serious.
Tribute race car.You will be surprised how much is there after the blasting.

Rusted floorboards are replaced with square frame tubing. Rust in body lightens the race car.Interior pieces are sold for project money. Repower the car with a modern engine/transmission.

RP

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey fellow car crazies

I've been sitting on my basket case 1972 3.0 CSi for a few months now trying to decide what to do with it. The car is so bad that the only 2 realistic options are sell as whole or part it out but I see there to be another possible option that may as ambitious as restoring it but with way better results and that is to RestoRod it.

I've made a few internet searches and have come up with a few hits a resorodded E9.
My idea is to transplant the skin onto another much newer BMW and use the drivetrain, suspension, and possibly the interior of the donor car.

The question I have is this, does anybody know of anybody having completed this kind project with the E9 and before I head out and acquire a BMW donor car which would be the best model to use?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking an E36 or E46, by eyeballing the cars look to be of similar size.

View attachment 148714View attachment 148713View attachment 148711View attachment 148709View attachment 148710View attachment 148712The one E9 Restorod I came across used an E39 chassis which is a 4 door and much larger.
What is your budget?

Matt McCall

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey fellow car crazies

I've been sitting on my basket case 1972 3.0 CSi for a few months now trying to decide what to do with it. The car is so bad that the only 2 realistic options are sell as whole or part it out but I see there to be another possible option that may as ambitious as restoring it but with way better results and that is to RestoRod it.

I've made a few internet searches and have come up with a few hits a resorodded E9.
My idea is to transplant the skin onto another much newer BMW and use the drivetrain, suspension, and possibly the interior of the donor car.

The question I have is this, does anybody know of anybody having completed this kind project with the E9 and before I head out and acquire a BMW donor car which would be the best model to use?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking an E36 or E46, by eyeballing the cars look to be of similar size.

View attachment 148714View attachment 148713View attachment 148711View attachment 148709View attachment 148710View attachment 148712The one E9 Restorod I came across used an E39 chassis which is a 4 door and much larger.
It looks like you’ve heard of the tires so that it rolls. Is that correct?

Hinemn

Reaction score
Inspiration:
View attachment 151343
you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, this picture is worth many thousand words. I like how the old body is brazed and you you're using the rocker panels and door pillars. this is a great way to integrate the old body to new chassis. I still haven't sold the old girl yet in the hopes that I find the inspiration to go through with the project. Thank for the pic