Deconstruction Thread: How to part-out an E9

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Important Update:

Greyhound no longer insures used car parts!. This is a deal breaker for me as far as glass and body parts go moving forward. This is a new development over the past few months.

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Testors has lots of blue colors. I used their number 1110 on my C pillars which is a pretty close match. I used an art brush instead of buying an airbrush and it shows. Someday I will need to buy an airbrush and redo them.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Who would have thought that the front blinkers would be so difficult to remove! I snapped both screws on the driver's side. I could tell that it was going to happen but I figured what the hell. I'll have four additional screws to work with later. Both blinkers trapped enough sand in them to build a castle.

Euro on left, US on right:
26100264444_15d28dd10c_b.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not much to post on how to remove the wheel, as there is only one bolt holding it on. My steering column had a nylock nut holding the wheel on, which I suspect isn't factory. Anyone?

Sold the e12 steering wheel for $30 in 8 hours. Glad it's going to a member!
26789901236_b765a6e001_b.jpg

Total Sales: $652
Remaining: $2,748

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I picked up a spare AC vent as I begin preparation to unload the AC parts. I figured I should do this next as summer is almost here and several people have inquired about the AC. One tends to forget that AC is a big deal after living in a mild climate. I intend to sell it as a package, we'll see how that works out.

I met up with a friend today to get some AC vents. My CSI vents are in poor shape and my 3D printing project halted with a low quality parts scan. I acquired an extra vent free of charge. He's going to keep the E3 vents and sell his E3 AC setup. If anyone with an E3 is looking for AC, PM me.

Settling any questions on the difference between E3 and E9 AC Vents. They are the exact same vents with the E3 cut slightly shorter. As other's have observed, the pattern embossed on the E3 vents is slightly less noticeable, but they aren't perfectly smooth.

26825811316_968a399354_c.jpg

26586658390_b2f39c81b1_c.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I started to tear into the center console. Nothing noteworthy about the removal yet. The vent console is a bit tricky with the air blend cables still attached. I decided to call it a night before pulling the glove box to access disconnect the cables. The console sides are now stashed away with the gear surround and AC face plate.

The AC plate is in decent condition. Notice that the radio post holes are oval, not round. This one has been massaged a bit, but at least it wasn't hacked up to accommodate a single DIN radio.

26592533290_d93d2a1791_b.jpg

I just can't get enough of 80's stereo installs. My favorite was the creative use of telephone cord.
26797721471_75d5ca6324_b.jpg

26592478910_119d5f3ce5_b.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Of the four side grilles shown, the one on left has the small cut at the tip, this is e9. The one on far right without the cut matches our 1970 2800 sedan. The two in the middle are from a later e3 I presume, I don't know why they needed to be shorter, the console is taller and there appears to be more room towards the firewall.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Of the four side grilles shown, the one on left has the small cut at the tip, this is e9. The one on far right without the cut matches our 1970 2800 sedan. The two in the middle are from a later e3 I presume, I don't know why they needed to be shorter, the console is taller and there appears to be more room towards the firewall.

Thanks Chris! The one on the far right has a grain pattern similar to the e9. So it looks like there are three types total. The one on the far left is from my CSI, matching your observation. The one on the far right is from my buddy. My version of the one on the far right (removed from my car this morning) has the small cut. They are all the same, just cut differently. The late model vents have a less defined pattern on the face.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lessons learned for today. I'm still struggling to accurately estimate shipping. The steering wheel was $25 to ship, which honestly seems excessive. I overestimated shipping costs on my extra jaguar hub by $5, so I netted a $3 loss on shipping. Not too bad but I would like to get better at this. I need to weigh my parts all boxed up instead of raw.

Also, I put my nardi hub in a priority labels (red/white/blue) usps box going to Canada. That wasn't acceptable so I had to spend $2 on a plain brown box and buy a $4 roll of USPS tape. I'll keep that roll in the car so I don't have to lug around my big packaging tape gun. Practice makes perfect!

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I put a feeler out for the punctured CSI tank. I talked to a shop in Seattle that will braze the hole in the tank. I hope that I don't have to scrap it.

Sold the door panels in under 8 hours, for $107 shipped. I need to get a move on. My collection of boxes is starting to out pace my parts sales. I blame the convenience of Purchasing diapers via Amazon. :)

Speaking of diapers. I was telling a Porsche guy today that cloth diapers make the best shop and cleaning rags. You can buy "worn out" diapers from your local diaper service by the lb. The are super soft, thick, absorbent, and hold up for quite some time! In Seattle, it's $30 for a 10lb bag. That's about 60 rags.

http://babydiaperservice.net/store/accessories/rags/

Total Sales: $760
Remaining: $2,640

26259752104_b88ec42106_b.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am truly amazed at how inconsistently these things rust. Most cars have a pattern but each e9
is a special rusty snowflake.

I made this statement just the other day, and my deconstruction work this evening only reinforces this observation. Case in point, the dashboard wood in my target coupe is completely shot, no doubt due to water infiltration. The area under the glove box looks pretty decent though. Next we have the CSI, with a perfect dash and wood that only requires a light buff and polish. With that said, Brace yourselves!.

What I found is a mixture of tar covered duct tape and fiberglass. Someone without any metal fabrication skills desperately wanted to keep this car on the road.

Fiberglass + Duct Tape + Tar = Structural Integrity!
26993329512_09c0fd94a7_c.jpg

Duct Tape:
26993330322_639cc46545_c.jpg

Fiberglass
26993332692_a444572eb9_c.jpg

Take a moment to review. What do you see? E9 tire, Honda wheel, garage floor, fender lip, glove box light, upper fender box absent
26813568600_d596d48f78_c.jpg

View from the outside:
27054558186_fe371a2183_c.jpg

Last edited:

viphoto

Reaction score
Didn't Fiberglass and duct tape lead the way to modern day carbon fiber:grin: you may have something for the smithsonian.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Didn't Fiberglass and duct tape lead the way to modern day carbon fiber:grin: you may have something for the smithsonian.

Exactly, much like the kid who accidently dropped his chocolate bar in his lunch mate's peanut butter, it was the inadvertent mixture of fiberglass and duct tape that led to modern day composites. I've been told that the Boeing 787 uses a similar technology.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got a good deal on a second brass coolant tank, so the CSI tank goes to a member who messaged me as soon as I brought the car home. I sold the tank for $75 shipped.

The tanks look identical but the part numbers are slightly different. The CSI tank is missing the bottom bracket, which doesn't seem to affect how secure the tank feels when mounted. Regardless, I made a paper template in case the buyer wants to solder on the simple bracket.

'73 CSI Tank P/N: 1104231:
26784313504_c4e360e67a_o.jpg

'71 E3 P/N: 11015251:
27320848631_be1182d348_o.jpg

Bracket Template:
27391991845_a47847a578_o.jpg

Total Sales: $820
Remaining: $2,580

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I posted a feeler for a power window conversion package and received no bites. After a few weeks of inactivity I sold a regulator and sardine motor to a local enthusiast. Research showed that a set of fronts go for around $150. I sold the driver's side for $75.

I'm going slow. But I basically have the entire car left and I'm 30% recovered. I expect the AC and D-Jet parts to help quite a bit.

Total Sales: $895
Remaining: $2,505

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos: So the '71 E3 P/N: 11015251 is the one you are selling? I am interested, PM me with a price etc. Does anyone know what year the brass stopped on the E3's? I thought they were all plastic on the E3's, not brass. Regardless I am interested, I think they look much better. Maybe you can spare the template too? I will have to see how my plastic tank mounts in the E3, may or may not need it. Thanks! -S